Monday, January 4, 2010

Records

It is really important to keep good records of what you are fermenting. It lets you know what it is, how long it has been in that stage, helps to identify problems, and lets you know when it is time to drink it.

I came across a nice looking record sheet to fill in while reading The Encycolpedia of Home Winemaking – Fermentation and Winemaking Methods by Pierre Drapeau and Andre Vanasse (translated into English). However, it was an older book, and the link they supplied was long since broken. I tried googling for other record sheets. I found a few, including some software. However, they were all for grape wine, not a variable of fruits, and so I decided to create my own

It is by no means perfect, as I find myself struggling with the fact that I used my mother’s frozen peaches with a can of frozen lemonade, so I find myself writing in the margins. I also don’t test the SG enough to merit the graph, but it took me a little bit to get it into the document and I figure someday I will be working on a large enough scale that I will be taking daily SG readings and that plotting it over time. My husband can tell you – I love statistics and graphing.

Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to post this up as a PDF, and was forced to save it as two JPG files. If you want my log as a single PDF file, email me, and I will gladly send it to you. It works best if it is printed front and back side of one piece of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment