Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Apple Cheesecake

While I do eat about an apple a day, my husband eats more apples than I do. He is also a teacher, which usually conjures up an image of a bright red apple. I think it was his idea to have an apple themed wedding. We served a keg of Spire Apple Cider instead of champagne, and our favors were applets.

I love cheesecake, and would rather have a cheesecake than a regular cake any day. When I found Portland Style Cheesecake, a company who can make wedding cakes out of cheesecakes, I was quite happy. My father-in-law was not, as he loves a good chocolate cake, but it was my wedding and I got to choose. Besides, my mother-in-law is gluten intolerant, so she can’t eat wheat, and therefore could not eat a cake, but she can eat cheesecake as long as the crust is gluten free. We got him a Costco chocolate sheet cake to make him happy.

We went to PS Cheesecake to taste several types of cakes that they had, as they must have had a list of about 30 to choose from. We did not say to ourselves, “We really want an apple cake,” but when we tasted that one against a few others favorite flavors like black berry or peanut butter, it became clear that we really liked the apple cake. It had real apple chunks in it, too. Though, the blackberry was really good, but just not us.

From there, we saw that they had done a cake with pears on it, so we requested apples, which they got little artificial ones, as they were afraid of the heat and didn’t want the weight of real apples to slide off.

A lot of people loved the cake, as it was something different at a wedding, and most people would rate cheesecake above regular cake. Granted, it did cost more than a regular wedding cake would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment