Thursday, March 4, 2010

Home Orchard Society

The Home Orchard Society is a group of hobby fruit tree gardeners based out of the Portland metro area in Oregon. They offer advice, classes, and much more to people who grow fruit trees in their back yards. They have a forum where anyone can ask a question. I became a member this year, and I now receive their quarterly newsletter and discounts to events.

Unfortunately, I found out about the Home Orchard Society too late to attend the fruit tasting every year, including lots of apples. However, I was able to place a custom apple tree order by the end of December 2009, and we will pick them up this weekend at the HOS Fruit Propagation Fair and Scion Exchange. Part of the reason I did this is because I wanted a Dabinett apple tree, and those are kind of hard to find. I had been pointed to a man in New York who would do custom grafts, but I was a little worried about shipping, and I also figure that a tree grafted out here would be more adjusted to my climate. Maybe those are false fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment